As many may know

Talk about anything that's clean.

As many may know

Postby Lord Drakelord » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 pm

there was a EM event today in Malas, just outside Luna is where it started. But to me this was a repeat of the Dog and Pony show they had last yr at the Yew park and this one had you travel to all the facets to see NPC and get information, so only well developed characters would be able to do this quest, yet I saw several newb there that would have no chance again the vets in the crowd.

Here is my post at Stratics about the D&P event. Most likely they will lock this thread as they will see it as negative feedback on an UO event, and after see how Stratics was when my daughter was doing that News thing i will expect it as soon as more folks post how they saw this event.

First off I really believe that there should not be any top winners, come on, five top prizes! I really believe they should not do these types of event where there is only top prizes to be awarded to so many folks. I did not like this when Hazel was around and I did not like it when they had GM doing live event last yr.

All these event do is bring the worst out in all the people around and that sucks. Why does EA even think this was a good idea, let just cancel these stunts and put on some real events with some role play. Hell the PAS trial of Lord Brit was far more fun to watch then this kitty show tonight.

I also sent in negative feedback at UO.COM, just about word for word above.
Lord Drakelord
Master of the Blades
Master of the Blades

Medals: 5
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) People’s Medal of Virtues (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 pm

1 point for EA trying to do something for folks, -5 points for making it more of their normal cookie cutter work.

I havent been to a UO event in 10 yrs, because I got sick of waiting around so many hours, days, and then when it happened all they did was spawn 10 gazillion monsters, killed everyone, and 5 friends of the gms got cool items.

It doesnt sound like that happened now (friends of gms etc), but that was a huge turnoff in the old days because inevitably those friends of gms bragged about the items and then all hell broke loose on the forums about it hehe.

Anyways, I stopped having EA events as PAS events when I had so many complaints from PAS members. Every time they would tell me, "hell our nightly event was more fun then that one".

Still, I give them credit for trying because I know some people like those, and it sounded like they at least stuck to a schedule this time. Thats good, because UO players have an attention span of about 12.5 minutes. if our PAS event goes past that before starting, its not gonna happen :)

Sorry that u and others were disappointed, thats all I heard from the PAS that were there. EA has so many cool things they could do on events, and yet they seem to lack the real creativity. Its prob due to EA corporate mentality and rules more than anything.

I would wager their employees are doing the best they can under those rules.

I said years ago that they should empower the players to run their own cool ingame fantasy with tools for some small localized spawns, or areas of the server where groups can go do unique things. Make them gold sinks, only usable in tram for example so it doesnt change pvp. Use their time and programming power there.

Let's hope they do a great job of rolling out Stygian Abyss. Lots of potential, lots of good anticipation out there for it (since its almost 2 yrs late). That spells one of two things, a great rollout or a crappy one that cant possibly match the expectations that everyone in UO has for it.

Time will tell.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Maldar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:55 pm

After what *just* happened to me, EA knows what they can do with their events! There was a universal message sent out a bit ago....something about getting pink hearts or whatever....so I went to the carnival to see what was up. I was standing there watching and the EM says...and I quote..."THAT DAMN ELF HAS NO BUSINESS AT MY EVENT!"
I am absolutely livid! It was all I could do to not unleash a verbal tirade at the jerk. How was I to know it was a reward for some quest they had done earlier today?
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Ciara » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Unbelievably rude, Maldar. I would be livid. I am angry on your behalf. How rude. That person should be fired.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Endrik » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 pm

I was there at the event, and I remember the EM saying that. I was under the impression he was talking to the other EM there who was there as the antagonist of the event, from what I could understand. I did not get the impression it was intended for you or any other player.
Endrik
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Ciara » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks, Endrik. That makes more sense, if there was a friendly rivalry between the EMs. I couldn't imagine someone singling out a player attending a player event and insulting them like that.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Maldar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 pm

No, he turned to me from 2 tiles away and said it. I was stunned. There were only 3 of us behind the stage and none of us was an EM. (Apparently, if you had completed the quest, you were somehow marked by pink, I think, so he would only give the rewards to those that completed the quest.) I had hit All Names when I arrived so that I could find the EM and, at that time, he was the only EM present. The only conversation that took place until he spoke to me was between players. He did not say anything up to or after the point that he made his statement to me. He definitely directed it at me, as I was the only elf behind the stage. When this happened, I saw no other EM and there was no reply to his terse statement, which is what I would have expected had he been talking to another EM. I am beyond angry..
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Ciara » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 pm

In that case , Maldar, I am very disappointed that an EM would say that to a player, and I am disgusted with the EM.

I don't go to these events, as for me, they have been nothing but disappointment, frustration and cause for anger. I am glad for those who enjoy them--I'll just stay away.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Maldar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:06 am

Yeah, I'm done with them as well now. There wasn't even a chance that the playful banter between him and another EM was happening yet, as I was standing there for several minutes before he turned to me from right in front of me (just 1 tile between us) and the only conversations that had taken place up to that time was just between players. I stayed for several minutes after he said it (stunned) and he didn't turn away from me. I also hit All Names again to see if I was the only elf in that direction and I was and there was still no other EM present. There were just three of us behind the stage. There was an elven player on each side of the stage in the stands and that was all I saw. Absolutely unreal. I am waiting to cool off before I file a complaint.....not that I expect it to do any good, but I will feel better. :evil:
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Endrik » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 am

Well Im sorry you feel it was directed at you. Did you say something to the EM to invoke such a response? I dont mean to accuse you of not knowing what your talking about, but again, I was there and saw nothing that indicated the EM was singling you or any other player out in a negative way. I was there for the whole event, from start to finish, and I think your mistaken on a few points... People that participated were not marked in pink. Not everybody that participated got a reward, infact only 5 people got something, and the only way the EM knew who the top 5 in the event were was by them turning in items they had collected during the event. No players were marked in ANY way. While I found the event annoying and frustrating, and while I think it could have been designed in a much more rewarding way... I will have to defend the EM in this case. They were very friendly, active, and interactive. Please remember that they are human, and that there were people there, as there are at every event, giving the EM's a hard time. I thought they handled themselves very well, and to be honest they have had more patience with players then I would have had in their shoes. Again, I am very sorry you are so offended, but from what I saw, I really dont think that his statement was directed at you... and even if it was, I do not believe it was at all intended in an insulting way. Seeing as he had the power to...but did not mute you, ban you to Umbra, or use any kind of nasty trick that they can do, I really dont think that they intended any offense. And if you are really that upset about it, perhaps you should try contacting the EM. Who knows, maybe they will actually apologize for a misunderstanding. Just try to remember that they are human, and in this game its EXTREMELY easy to mix people up, to confuse you with someone else (Perhaps a griefer from a previous event, or a player he had a friendly banter with at an earlier event), and it is entirely possible that you are mistaken, and he did not intend that statement toward you at all. Again, everything that I saw leads me to believe that the EMs are doing a very good job interacting with the players. They were carrying on up to 5 different conversations with 5 different players at one point WHILE explaining the event. This made it a little confusing at points, and you had to really be on the ball watching what EVERYBODY was saying to be able to tell who he was talking to and what he was talking about at any given time. And they did not say that and then just stand there facing you for 2+ minutes... Again, I was there, and the conversation from the EM kept flowing after that statement was made. In addition, let me give you a piece of info that you were not aware of, as again, you were not there for the whole event... The EM who made that statement was having lag problems, and at the beginning of the event actually lagged long enough for his character to disappear. So its also entirely possible that when he started typing that statement he was dressing another player, and that by the time it was displayed you were standing there and that he may not have been "Facing you down" but instead lagging for a few seconds before changing position.. there are really thousands of possibilities as to how this statement originated and who and how it was was intended towards. And that was not the "only" statement the EM made. He was talking quite a bit before that statement, and continued talking after that statement.

Now I know your still upset, but I would recommend trying to talk to the EM and giving them the benefit of the doubt until then. I think the mature thing to do would be to work it out with them instead of trying to get other people wound up about something that not only were they not there for, but you yourself were not even there for all of it... You walked in at the end, after an hour and a half, saw a statement, and immediately assumed it was intentionally and insultingly directed at you. My advice is to take a breath, calm down, and sort it out... and for anyone who is reading this and was not there to not judge either party in this matter... there are very clearly multiple sides to this story, and I would encourage everybody to relax and not start drama where there quite possibly does not need to be any.
Endrik
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Maldar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:44 am

You are correct, I may be mistaken, but not in my mind. I stated that it appeared that the people who had completed the quest were somehow marked in pink because everyone that I saw speaking had pink text. I didn't earn his wrath by saying anything as I never spoke, other than frowning when he made his statement. From the time I had arrived until the time I left......around 5 minutes or so.....he hadn't said a word other than that statement.
I wish I knew his name, as I would certainly like to talk to him.
As for his statement, he used extremely poor judgement in his choice of words regardless of who he was speaking to.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Lord Drakelord » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 am

I did not go to Sundays event, now I'm glad. Had a coughing fit this morning took something for it, waiting for it to kick in before going back to bed.

As I said above in the first post, I don't like D&P, I had enough of that BS when I was in the Army. I rather do the CS as there I have a chance of getting something that I can give away to my friends and not break the world bank if they decided to sell it. As for these event where a LIMIT amount of items are passed to the top five/ten folks then the worse is brought out in all that take part in it. Even I could feel it Saturday when the first event started.

Also these top prizes are then sold off in the rares forum at Stratics for ungodly amounts which are way to funny. I'm sorry but I rather they give out one common item at all the events, I think Hazel saw this before they closed the last EM program down. Her Hazel beer was a step in the right direction, giving this to everyone that took part in one of her event made sure to keep such one of a kind items, such as the silver sewing kit from yrs before out of this game.

I really believe they should have given everyone that took a part in last weekends event a little special gift much like hazel's beer.
Lord Drakelord
Master of the Blades
Master of the Blades

Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) People’s Medal of Virtues (1)

Postby Endrik » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:02 pm

I totally agree. If they want to give out 10 main rewards thats one thing... but man they should at the least give out something small to each player at the event who participates. There is nothing worse then running around for an hour or two just to end up with nothing to show for it. Last nights event especially where you didnt have to think, and it was based completely on reallife luck. They just said to run around Malas looking for Candy Elementals. There were only 30 spread all over Malas. So I ran around for an hour and a half and only found one, and so didnt win anything. The only people that won were the ones who had multiple people pooling their stuff. It would be fine if they gave everybody something... but they way they run most of these is just plain disappointing.
Endrik
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Queen Mum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

Did some checking and through the help of a saved journal text file it was confirmed that the conversation was about the elf 'king' casca and not directed at any elf player ... the ems were roleplaying their positions about the proclaimed king .... in my report on the event i mentioned their bantering about the elf casca ... http://www.uoforums.com/uo-sonoma-shard ... 009-a.html ...

I hope that helps everyone know that in no way the 'current' em's targeted any of us ... i think the shock of hearing the word damned from an em caught our attention and we missed the whole conversation.

Personally I had fun during these first two events, albeit I stayed and watched from a spectators viewpoint and I give them credit for trying to bring some special fun to our shard that player ran events cannot do.

I fear if they were to give every one a little 'special' gift you would see more cross trading and selling off of these items ... like our RBG sashes, hazel beers and hazel feathered hats come to mind!

If you go to an event EXPECTING something special and receive nothing then of course the dissatisfaction is great, but if you go to an event to have fun and support the shard and by chance you do receive something special then the surprise is greater ... thats my philosophy ...

:)
Queen Mum
Queen of Cookies
Queen of Cookies

Medals: 1
People’s Medal of Virtues (1)

Postby Maldar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am

Oh, you have no idea how much better you just made me feel! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I know it is just a game but I was absolutely devastated. He turned towards the 3 of us behind the stage, took one step toward us and, from 1 tile away, made his statement. I really thought he was talking to me. Thank you for checking your journal........I appreciate you taking the time to do so! I am very relieved.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion